Life and Love Lessons Learned From Being Single

Thought Catalog is an amazing blog. I should probably write for it because it's ridiculous how much I can relate to some of these articles. At times I feel like the author was literally writing down my exact thoughts! Makes me wonder if someone is just writing them to write it or actually writing from experience. 

Here is a great one on lessons learned about life and love because of being single.
Given my current status the last couple of years, I was definitely interested to read it. 
And you know what? It's pretty accurate!
Here are a few of my favorites that I know I've learned. And my added commentary.
Because.
  • Self-love should come first.
    • Learning who you are and loving who you are, without anyone else, is a huge feat. And one I encourage everyone to take the time to do. You'll be better for it. I promise.
  • Being alone is different than being lonely.
    • Nough said.
  • A failed relationship doesn’t mean you have failed.
    • This is tough one for me to swallow, but I'm getting there. Learn and move forward. Don't get stuck in what happened or could have been. Life's too precious to miss out on!
  • Red flags should never be ignored.
    • My family and friends can vouch for this. Seriously, don't make excuses for that shit...
  • Never take a relationship for granted.
    • It can be gone in the blink of an eye. And you'll never get that time back.
  • Heartbreak is a temporary feeling.
    • You might be left with scars, but it is temporary.
  • Time doesn’t heal you, you heal with time.
    • Couldn't agree more.
  • Every “love story” is different.
    • Don't judge a relationship by it's 'cover'. You never know what happens behind closed doors.
  • Recognize that we all have a past.
    • By this time in my life, I'd question someone who didn't.
  • Never lose sight of your independence.
    • This one has never been lost on me. I can be stubborn in my independence, but it's something I value and will always cherish.
  • Your partner should add to your happiness, but they should not be the sole source of it.
    • Let's not be that obsessed couple who can't do anything without the other. Be you.
  • Until you can take care of yourself, you cannot take care of somebody else.
    • This is a little vague. You might think someone is taking care of themselves because they have a roof over their head and maybe a job, but no. Taking care of yourself is so much more than that. It's emotionally, physically, professionally... don't just do the bare minimum to get by. Enjoy who you are and help yourself grow. 
  • Being alone can be fun.
    • I can do what I want, whenever I want! 
  • Your solitude is a privilege you should never take for granted.
    • My family knows that I definitely love my alone time and cherish it whenever possible! It's for everyone safety. 
  • Being single is really the time to get to know yourself in ways you never imagined.
    • I've learned a lot about myself and I'm still learning, but that's part of the fun of it. I find I surprise myself at times and figure out more of what I want everyday.
    • I think this is similar to time healing. Forgiveness can take time, but I'm not sure someone can fully move forward without it. 

Comments