Humbled

I sit here in a place with a roof over my head, lights, hot water, food, cable, internet, 'stuff', all while typing on my Mac computer, with my dog and bed to sleep in...
I can get caught up in being able to have things.  Being able to buy something I need or want because I can.  I may not always NEED to spend the money, but I won't suffer much from it and I can cut back later.  BUt, there are those out there that don't have that advantage.  
Tonight I saw that. Granted, it's not like I'm blind and don't know it's there. I've been on enough mission trips, heard more than enough from my best friend when she was in Africa (talk about humbling) and it's something everyone knows is there...I think sometimes it's just easier not to acknowledge it.  You know?
Tonight I went with 4 other co-workers to a Church in downtown Louisville, to help serve dinner.  We serve 317 people.  pretty amazing.  In about 45 minutes. No joke.  Our company does this 'giving back' program.  Each of our offices, donates to a local charity.  Here in Louisville we donate to one that sponsors multiple charities and I love that.  So we decided that it would be even better to give, not just our money, but our time.  
It's tough to see that many people struggling, but I know it's worse everyday and especially with the way the economy is these days.  I couldn't imagine...I'm not sure I could imagine not having anyone to help either.  I am extremely grateful to have everything I have and I'm not sure I take that to heart enough.  I probably have $100 in nail polish alone sitting in my bathroom and there are some that would do anything for $1...
It was so much fun at the same time as heartbreaking.  While it is nice out and the weather can't be better, it's hard to see children coming in, knowing that when it is cold? When there is snow on the ground, heavy rains, etc...those kids may not have a 'safe' place to go.  They may not have the clothes to keep them warm, food to keep their strength or even something as simple as a toothbrush.
The woman who runs this place was incredible.  Smile on her face every second, knew these that came in by their name, they respected her and she knew exactly what she was doing.  
It's an amazing operation and I hope that we can begin doing this on a more regular basis.  It brings me back a bit.  
Here I was in my gap outfit, wearing BCBG heels, a fossil watch, real pearls, and a 'fake' Coach bag, while some? Were just happy to have on a t-shirt...It's not always a choice for some.  Others? Maybe they made a bad decision, took a wrong turn, and they just can't seem to get it back.  
Brought me to a little reality check.  Lately, I've just been blah.  I've had a lot on my mind, worrying, stressed, emotional...everything.  And tonight just made me think that none of that actually matters.   It made me think that I need to do what makes me happy.  PERIOD.  I can't get those days back, those moments back, those opportunities back.  Tomorrow? I may not be here.  Next week? I may not be here....so why wait? Why do we tend to 'waste' time on things, when really? It truly is the little things in life that should matter...

I don't know.  Think about it.  It definitely made me think... and I pray that God puts peace in each of their hearts.  Not one asked for a pity party.  Not one gave the 'sad' eyes.  
Each and every one of them said hello and smiled.  They asked how we were, chatted for a couple seconds and there were a few that came up after they ate and thanked us...All we did was put food on a plate for them.  All we did was help make it a little easier to get 317 people fed.  That was all, but to some of them? It was everything...it's that they get a warm meal every single day...

Comments

Whitney said…
Such a wonderful post and I've been feeling so ungrateful lately for all of my blessings. I complain about work, complain about my commute, blah blah blah. Who doesn't? But it sure is a good reminder that there are people who would LOVE my job and wouldn't say a bad word about it.

Excellent post, girl!