Fashion and Life



So, a friend of mine asked me to write about fashion and how it affects my life, my thoughts, etc. She's working on a paper for school and of course, I obliged! Duh, fashion? Me? I mean, I know I don't dress the best everyday and I have my lazy, what were you thinking moments, but God knows, if I could work in the fashion industry?? MY HEAVEN! As far as my career would go :) So, I figured, I might share it with the world! Tell me your thoughts, get some feedback. 

I remember, when I was little, being a bit of a tomboy. I don't think I wore dresses a whole lot, unless to Church, and I was always outside playing.  When we lived in Illinois, our neighborhood had tons of kids around my sister and my age; our best friends lived just a couple houses down the street :) So, we always had playmates!

But, as I got older, I started recognizing fashions more, wanting to dress up, be sophistocated and fun.  I started realizing that people were, more so, being accepted by what they wore.  Now, I don't mean this is a negative way, but for me, I find myself noticing those who put more effort into what they are wearing. I think it's just society 'standards' maybe? I don't look down on anyone, but I can tell those who may have only taken 20 minutes to get ready, but they knew how to dress to impress in a way, and those that really just don't care. 

Like this outfit. Simple colors, but the boots, the colored bag, just completely add something to it and pull it all together ;) I LOVE this outfit. Comfortable, yet totally fashionable and presentable!

It's hard to explain, but for me fashion isn't just the fun of new ideas, creative outets, being 'pretty', it's also a bold statement. It's telling everyone that sees me, that I respect myself and care to look presentable, confident, sophistacated.  If I walked around in a ratty old t-shirt and holy jeans, I don't think I'd be respected ot taken seriously, as I would if I wore nice jeans and even just a solid top with some costume jewelry.  Does that make sense?

I not only like the things I wear, but I know that when others see me, they know that I take care of myself.  That I respect myself and care about the presentation that I give.  For job interviews, as sad as it is, there are places that won't hire you, if you come in in jeans, or a wrinkly shirt with slacks, or wathever.  It's a representation of their comany, depending on the position you hold, so in a sense, fashion for me is a representation of myself.


I am huge on first impressions.  If I get a bad vibe or if you put off this negative energy, I have a harder time opening up to people, but when if I see their presentable and put together, I find myself gravitating towards that.

So, fashion for me is all kinds of things. I love being creative and wearing things different ways, color slashes and bold jewelry pieces. I love playing with different styles and see what does and doesn't work.  I love they way it makes me feel to. There are plenty of weekends or days where I don't do much of anything, but i find myself still putting together an outfit, even if I just run to the bank and sit at home the rest of the day.

See how cut would this be for work?? I love the colors, layered sweater, neutral bag and shoes! AH :)

Now, don't get me wrong, I have plenty of days where I look back or find a mirror and ask myself what I was thinking, but that's all the fun of it to! You see what does and doesn't work and sometimes that means finding out the hard way.
I like the way I feel when I'm excited about what I wear and I hope that only continues throughout my life. It's a daily thought, idea, etc.  I enjoy being able to throw on a scarf, if I'm having an off day and it makes me or my outfit pop. I like that I've learned how to put on something so simple and add a necklace or a even a bag, or colored layered top to it and it completely changes everything. I love the colors of all seasons and they way they stand out or make your skin color, hair color, eye color, etc just scream out. 

I also love the 'old' styles that are coming back! ha I am totally one to turnarounds of fashions and the modern twist that can be put on them.  It's funny when my mom says she wore something very similar when she was my age! It's great to change that a little to fit who I am and what I love.  I can take something that's supossedly 'outdated' add a little flare and it's completely new and me!

I love looking and finding new ideas. I get InStyle magazine every month and I constantly rip out pages of outfits to redo for myself! 1. because they are ridiculously expensive and I could never afford it, 2. because I like what I see, but I always change something; a color; accessory; shoes, etc to make it comfortable and fitting for me :)

I think that covers it. :) haha It's who I am. It's what I love. It's doesn't define me, but it definitely is how I am and want to be portrayed. It's a passion of mine, it's a consistent thought and quite possibly an addiction lol BUT, I am a thrifty shopper, not a 'designer' shopper, so the bank account benefits from this;sometimes. Remember, I started a 30 day NO shopping challenge and I'm doing alright so far. No major episodes, convulsions, or withdrawls...YET. :)

Comments