Strength

Ever wonder if we are born with strength or it's something you learn as you grow?  I don't mean physical strength, I mean inner strength  Emotional strength. The kind of strength that can get you through hard times.  The strength from God holding you and telling you, "You will get through."
I've always thought I had a lot of strength.  I've lived a pretty privileged life and I've been extremely blessed with who I am, where I am, and the people in my life, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen heartache or bad times.  I've always had that feeling, though, where I know, if something bad happens, I will have the strength to get through...I kind of have that 'bring it on!' attitude.  What's life without a few ups and downs right?  It's how you deal with those situations that matters...

I've always heard to pray for God to give you strength, but don't we already have it in us? Shouldn't we be praying for God to help us find our strength?  Usually in Him, right?  We can't do things alone.  Let's be honest.  Very few people get through this life by themselves.  We've got family, friends, co-workers, even strangers that help us get through every day's journey.  But the biggest is God.  Always there to help you through whether you know it or not...One day you'll realize it, if you haven't already.
I know this sounds crazy, but I've  always felt deep down that if I were to get cancer, a disease, be in a horrible accident, whatever, that I'd be strong enough to get through it.  Fight it, defeat it, out live it...but I don't think it's just me; It's God.  It's not a mental state of saying, "I can get through this." It's a feeling of KNOWING you can get through it.  KNOWING that there is an end even if it's not what you expect.
I've had people come and go in my life, both in passing and in death.  Those people were some of the strongest I've known.  They were given a challenge in life and they fought long and hard at it.  They had inner strength that I only hope I have one day...
But can one argue that our strength is our faith?  That really, we have so much invested into God, that He is the one who gets through; that we sort of trick our minds to think that we actually do have the emotional capacity to deal with what's just happened?  It's kind of weird to think about...guess it can go both ways.
I think faith has a huge part in it, but I also believe that God gave us strength in ourselves.  He just helps to bring it out and make it stronger.  I also believe that God doesn't give you anything He knows you can't handle.  Therefore, in any tough situation, God is saying you are strong enough and you can do this...
Just remember.  God is here to love and protect us.  You just have to let Him...

Comments